Anatomy and Physiology of Children’s Yoga
Recognize developmental changes to young bodies to safely and effectively teach yoga
Summer 2021: June 22- August 19, 2021 Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday’s
Fall 2021:September 14- December 21
Explore developmental changes to children and how to effectively teach yoga to them.
Having knowledge of the anatomy of the human body can improve your practice and teaching ability.
Join us for a 3-session course about the Anatomy and Physiology of Children's Yoga. We developed this class to explore the developmental changes children experience, what this means for kids yoga, and how to effectively teach yoga.
Through this course, we understand the effects of exercise and postures on all systems of the body. Learn how to safely and effectively practice and teach postures while minimizing risk of injury.
Through this course, we will cover:
- Eastern and Western views of the mind and body
- Systems Anatomy Review
- Developmental Stages & Cueing of Asana
- Early Childhood (18mo-4yrs) Development
- Primary School (5-14yrs) Development
- Secondary School (15-18yrs) Development
- Yoga for Special Populations & Contraindications
- Yoga for students with physical adaptations
- Yoga for students with cognitive adaptations
- Learn how children's bodies differ from adults and what their needs are at each point in their development.
Cueing for each age range (early childhood, elementary, secondary age)
- Seated poses.
- Standing poses
- Supine and prone poses
- Balancing postures
- Core poses
- Anatomy and physiology related specifically to changes during child development and their application to yoga techniques
- Includes both the study of the subject and application of its principles to yoga practice (benefits, contraindications, healthy movement patterns, etc).
- Includes both human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, organs, etc.) and energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.).
Who is this course for?
This 3-session course is designed for educators, yoga teachers, parents, therapists, counselors, psychologists, or anyone who works with tweens/teens.
This course is for anyone who wishes to learn more about human body development and how the anatomy and muscles are used in yoga postures.
3 evening sessions
July 27, 28, 29 11:00-1:20
December 2, 7, 9 5-8:20 PM EDT
Instructor: Lara Hocheiser
You will receive:
- Video recordings of both sessions
- Anatomy and Physiology of Children’s Yoga Manual: comprehensive manual built for this course ($49.95 value)
We keep our courses personal and intimate, so you can get the most out of it. Space is limited, so register for it today!
Because teaching children’s yoga is much more than yoga poses, we see this course as a pathway to mature as an educator, parent, instructor, counselor, or whatever role you hold or plan to hold. Go beyond the poses by incorporating mindfulness, self-reflection and self-inquiry, art, meditation, positive self-talk, relaxation, student-lead programming, and more.